256 Hayes St.,
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Northeastern Ontario
- Pop. 542. In Teck T., Timiskaming Dist., on the Blanche R. and Hwy 66, 8 km. W of Kirkland Lake.
- The post office was established as Swastika in 1911. Brothers Jim and Bill Dusty, owners of Swastika Mining Company, named the community Swastika in 1906 after the good-luck charm worn by a young lady they met.
- The symbol originated in the Sanskrit and is a cross-like symbol supposed to denote good fortune.
- During the Second World War, when the Nazis were using a version of the swastika as their emblem, determined efforts were made to have the community's name changed to Winston, in honour of Britain's prime minister, Winston Churchill.
- The villagers refused to relinquish a name that had become for them a symbol of good faith, good luck, and goodwill.
- They erected protest signs and argued that their name had been adopted before Hitler took the symbol and, in any case, their swastika went ''the other way.'
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/swastika