101 Cedar Dr.
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Southwestern
- Pop. 421. In the Reg. Mun. of Haldimand-Norfolk on C. Rd 10, 24 km SW of Simcoe.
- There is archaeological evidence that First Nation: Peoples frequented this area thousands of years before the arrival of Europeans.
- The French were here as early as 1670. In 1793 hundreds of United Empire Loyalists moved to the north shore of L. Erie.
- In order to protect their settlements from attack, Lt.-Gov. John Graves Simcoe decided to build a fortress (Fort Norfolk) on Turkey Point.
- The nearby town of Charlotteville (after Queen Charlotte, wife of George III) was designated the capital ofthe Western District of Upper Canada.
- During the War of 1812, when the Americans controlled L. Erie, the seat of government was moved inland. In 1815 the Charlotteville courthouse burned down, and the capital was then moved to Vittoria and later to London.
- Fort Norfolk fell into disrepair and was abandoned. In 1925 a summer post office was established as Turkey Point.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/turkeypoint