4721 Hwy 7
Ontario Tourism Region : York, Durham and Hills of Headwaters
- Pop. 14,000. Part of the Town of Markham, Reg. Mun. of York on the River Rouge and C. Rds. 3 & 7, 29 km NE of Toronto.
- German settlers who were brought to this area in 1794 by William von Moll Berczy, were the first township residents and they formed one of the earliest Lutheran congregations in Ontario.
- Berczy, a German painter, went to London in 1790 as an agent for a land company and under its auspices brought a large group of German settlers to New York State.
- Two years later, following a dispute with the company, he transferred his colony to Upper Canada and settled north of York (now Toronto).
- Ira White built saw- and flour mills here and in 1841 named them Union Mills, commem-orating the Act of Union which that year united Upper and Lower Canada into the single province of Canada. The post office opened in 1849 as Unionville.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/unionville