148 Albert St.
Ontario Tourism Region : Bruce Peninsula, Southern Georgian Bay and Lake Simcoe
- Pop. 1,080. In Tay T., Simcoe C., on Hogg's Bay off Severn Sound on Georgian Bay at the mouth of the Hogg R., just N of Hwy 12, 45 km. NW of Orillia.
- In 1869, John Kean and Albert Fowlie of Grillia opened a large sawmill on the site ofthe present village, which was first known as Hogg's Bay.
- At one time the place was nicknamed 'Canary Town' because most of the houses were painted yellow by the major employer, Victoria Harbour Lumber Company.
- In 1871 the Midland Railway arrived and the settlement was given its present name to honour Queen Victoria.
- A cairn a short distance south of the community on the Hogg R. marks the site of the palisaded Huron village and Jesuit mission, St. Louis, where missionaries Jean de Brebeuf and Gabriel Lalemant were captured. The Iroquois destroyed the fortification.
- Postcard above used with permission from A Great Lakes Treasury of Old Postcards 2007 Lorenzo Marcolin, MD 176 pp. For Copies call the Huronia Museum 705 526 2844 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/victoriaharbour