1529 Brock St.,
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Southwestern
- Pop. 452. In Delhi T., Reg. Mun. of Haldimand-Norfolk, on Young's Cr., 8 km. S of Simcoe.
- The first settler was a Mr. McCall, who arrived in 1794. The place was first called Tisdale's Mills and for a time was the judicial seat of the London District.
- After the courthouse and jail were completed in 1817, the community was renamed Vittoria in honour of the Duke of Wellington's 1813 victory at Vitoria in northern Spain during the Peninsular Campaign.
- In 1826 the jail and courthouse burned down, and the judicial capital was moved to London. The Rev. Adolphus Egerton Ryerson (1803-1882) was born near Vittoria.
- He was head of Ontario's department of education for 30 years and established Ontario's present system of public education, making free elementary and secondary schooling available to all children in the province.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/vittoria