RR # 1,
Ontario Tourism Region : Bruce Peninsula, Southern Georgian Bay and Lake Simcoe
- Pop. 224. In Rama T., Simcoe C., at the N end of L. Couchiching at the mouth of the Severn R. and on C. Rds. 44 & 169 immediately E ofHwy 11, 19 km NE of Orillia.
- The area was opened up by the lumber trade, and in 1853 the St. George family was granted lands in the region, including the townsite. The terms of the grant called for St. George to build grist and sawmills.
- He built the sawmill to help his timber business, but the grist mill wasn't erected for 20 years, which slowed development of the area.
- The place was fIrst known as Severn Landing. When the post office opened in 1868, Henri St. George asked Ojibwa Chief Bigwin to choose a name. Bigwin named the place Washago, meaning 'sparkling waters.'
- The Wasdell Falls Hydro-Electric Generating Station was opened in 1914, about 5 km NW of Washago.
- Sir Adam Beck officially opened the plant, which was the frrst station built by the Hydro-Electric Power Commission of Ontario. It served the region until 1955.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/washago