26 Division St.
Ontario Tourism Region : Niagara Falls and Wine Country
- Pop. 47,617. A city in the Reg. Mun. of Niagara on the Weiland Ship Canal and the WeIland R. (Chippewa Cr.) and Hwys 58A, 140 & 406 and C. Rds. 27,29,36 & 54, 24 km. SW of Niagara Falls.
- Welland was created by the first Welland Canal, completed in 1829. A feeder canal, supplying water from the Grand R., 32 km. SW, crossed Chippewa Cr. by means of a large wooden aqueduct.
- Settlement grew up around this structure, and the hamlet was called Aqueduct until 1842.
- The community was then named Merrittsville to honour William Hamilton Merritt, fmancial agent for the Welland Canal Company and one of its leading promoters.
- When the settlement was incorporated in 1858, the name was changed to WeIland after the river, which had been named by Lt. Gov. Simcoe after the WeIland R. in Lincolnshire, England.
- In 1988 WeIland started Festival of Arts Murals as a way to draw tourists to the city, and there are now 28 large murals on buildings around the city.
- Postcards above used with permission from A Great Lakes Treasury of Old Postcards 2007 Lorenzo Marcolin, MD 176 pp. For Copies call the Huronia Museum 705 526 2844 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Natural Resources Canada in the Region of Niagara.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/welland