Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : The Great Waterway
- Pop. 1,691. In Hillier T., Prince Edward C., on Wellington Bay of L. Ontario and C. Rd. 33,16 km SW of Picton.
- The first settler at Wellington's original site was Daniel Reynolds, a United Empire Loyalist trapper and trader, from Albany, NY.
- Reynolds lived among the First Nations Peoples, who nicknamed him 'Old Smoke' and helped him build his stone house in 1786. Today Reynolds' former home is the oldest dwelling in the township
- It is recorded that in 1792, Lt.-Gov. and Lady Simcoe, en route from Kingston to Newark, were forced to shelter from a storm in Reynolds' home.
- Lady Simcoe became ill and stayed here for several weeks while her husband and the official party continued on.
- The settlement was first called Smokeville, but when the post office was established in 1830, it was named Wellington after the 'Iron Duke,' Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington (I769-1852).
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/wellington