209 Dundas E.
Ontario Tourism Region : York, Durham and Hills of Headwaters
- Pop. 73,586. A town in the Reg. Mun. of Durham on L. Ontario and Hwy 401 and C. Rd. 12,46 km NE of Toronto.
- Peter Perry is considered the founder of Whitby, although Jabez Lynde settled on nearby Lynde's Cr. in 1804. Perry arrived in 1836 and opened the 'Red Store' at what became known as Perry's Corners.
- Before Perry arrived the place had been called Big Bay, Port Whitby, Windsor Bay, Crawford's Corners, and Hamer's Corners.
- By 1848 the harbour had become so busy that a plank road was constructed to Port Perry to facilitate the movement of grain from farms in the northern part of the region to the shipping facilities at Windsor Bay.
- The community was incorporated in 1855, and because there was another Windsor in Ontario, the place was named Whitby after a seaside town in North Yorkshire, England.
- In 1871 a rail line was completed from Whitby to Port Perry and by 1877 it extended to Lindsay.
- The line's official name was the Whitby, Port Perry and Lindsay Railway. but its nickname, 'The Nip and Tuck,' was popular.
- The railway was intended to move goods to and from Whitby's harbour but it eventually spelled the doom of the harbour and its related businesses, because rail travel was a cheaper and more efficient means of transporting goods.
Natural Resources Canada in the Durham Region.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/whitby