1081 Centre St.,
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Huron, Perth, Waterloo and Wellington
- Pop. 353. In Howick T., Huron C., on the Maitland R. and C. Rds. 12 & 87, 7 km. SE of Wingham.
- The townsite was part of a large tract of land bought by the Hon. James Patton and two men named Boys and Torre.
- In 1856 Thomas and Robert Gibson acquired some of that land and the water rights and, with their brother John, built saw- and flour mills on the Maitland R.
- James Patton's brother, Andrew, built the first frame house in 1858, surveyed the community, and laid out a townsite, naming it after Wroxeter in Shropshire, England.
- In the same year a post office was established, and Andrew Patton was appointed postmaster. In 1874 a branch of the Toronto, Grey and Bruce Rallway reached the community.
- Railway construction workers considerably swelled the population, and civic leaders took advantage of the situation to conduct a census.
- Including the railway workers, and with a canny disregard for village boundaries, the head count reached 750, enabling Wroxeter to incorporate as a village.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/wroxeter