17 Victoria St.
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Southwestern
- Pop. 76. In Chatham T., Kent Co., on the Thames R. and C. Rds. 2 & 15, 16 km NE of Chatham.
- The community was named Kent Bridge when a wooden bridge was built across the Thames in 1854.
- The first settler was Frederick Arnold, a United Empire Loyalist who came in the 1790s and built a gristmill on Arnold' s Creek.
- The great Indian chief Tecumseh spent his last night at Arnold's Mill and on the day of the Battle of the Thames he stood under a beech tree waiting for Arnold to throw three shovels of earth off the mill dam as a signal the Americans were approaching
- A tavern built by John Williams was a regular stage stop here in 1828 when the place was known as Howard Bridge.
- In the mid-1840s Christopher Gee opened a brickyard and also operated a ferry across the river. Until the bridge was built, the place was called Gee's Ferry.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/kentbridge