66 Richmond St.
Ontario Tourism Region : Southwestern
- Pop. 19,303. In Malden and Anderton Ts., Essex C., on the Detroit R. and C. Rds. 18 & 20, 24 km. S of Windsor.
- From about 1727 and for 20 years, the Bois Blanc mission occupied lands in this area, but the first permanent settlement was started in 1784 by a number of former Indian Department officers.
- In 1815 the place was named Amherstburg to honour Lord Jeffery Amherst, governor general of British North America from 1760-1763.
- In 1796 the British established Fort Malden just N of the town after evacuating Detroit. In 1838 Fort Malden's garrison and the local militia repelled four attempts by the 'Patriot' filibusters to invade Canada.
- The fort was garrisoned by British regiments until 1851, occupied by military pensioners until 1859, and then abandoned. Today it is fully restored and operated by Parks Canada as a tourist attraction.
- On Dalhousie Street South, at the southern approach to Amherstburg, is one of the finest remaining examples of Georgian architecture in Ontario. Bellevue was built in 1816 by Robert Reynolds as the commissary to the garrison at Fort Malden.
- Another historic attraction is the Park House, now a museum. The home was originally built in 1796 on the U.S. side of the Detroit R.
- When the United Empire Loyalist owner moved to Canada, he dismantled his house, floated the materials across the river and re-assembled it in what is now Amherstburg around 1799.
- The solid log structure with clapboard siding and cedar shake roof seems an unlikely 'pre-fabricated' house. One of the oldest Anglican churches in the province is Christ Church, built in 1819 to serve the garrison at Fort Malden and local civilians.
Natural Resources Canada in the County of Essex.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/amherstburg